3 Great Reason To Waterproof Your Basement

stock-photo-4258890-interior-abstractWith the amount of snow we have had this winter in Northeast Ohio, the melting process will be definitely something we have to keep an eye on. Shoveling snow away from the foundation of your home can save headaches and issues arising from the water seeping through the walls of your home, many times that is not possible though and we have to keep a vigilant eye in the basement to make sure that we do not have water problems there. Damped walls, running water and moisture in the basement could be clear indicators that you have a water issue, and is better to take care of it right away instead of waiting for the problem to get worse.

Read more about this topic by following the links below.


Snow And Ice Will Compromise Your Home’s Foundation

As the snow comes down around us, most of us are often concerned with what is happening on the ground instead of beneath it. Being snowed in; this is a perfect time for you to take a trip into your basement or crawlspace to see what happens below your home when during this wet and cold weather. The change in temperature causes the soil around and under your home to repeatedly freeze and thaw, which in turn causes it to expand and contract. This freeze-thaw cycle adds pressure to your home’s foundation which will result in cracks in your walls and some cases cause your walls to bow! In a crawlspace, this can mean movement in your floor joists and lead to much bigger problems down the line.

The other major problem at hand is the wet snow. It is still precipitation and it will eventually turn into water, make its way into your basement or crawlspace, or worse, undermine the footing of your foundation and making the soil that your home is built on unstable and soft. You don’t want to imagine what that water will do to your belongings when it enters your basement through the cracks in the walls.


Mold Basics

Why is mold growing in my home?

Molds are part of the natural environment. Outdoors, molds play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees, but indoors, mold growth should be avoided. Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air. Mold may begin growing indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet. There are many types of mold, and none of them will grow without water or moisture.

Can mold cause health problems?

Molds are usually not a problem indoors, unless mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing. Molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis). Allergic reactions to mold are common. They can be immediate or delayed. Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold. In addition, mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people. Symptoms other than the allergic and irritant types are not commonly reported as a result of inhaling mold. Research on mold and health effects is ongoing.


Know when you need to Invest in Basement Dehumidifiers

Your basement is one of those rooms that suffer terribly from the effects of dampness. So how do you know that it is time to consider investing in basement dehumidifiers? Here are some tell tale signs that it is high time you invested in one. First and foremost, if you find condensed moisture on your windows and other areas within your basement, the humidity levels are alarming. You need to invest in a dehumidifier immediately to prevent property damage and health issues.

Secondly, if you begin to notice any form of damage on the furniture in your basement then this shows that there is high relative humidity in that area. You might realize that some of the wooden furniture and fixtures in this room is getting mold and mildew due to the moist condition. Mold not only damages your wooden furniture but it can also cause a series of respiratory problems. Get basement dehumidifiers to change this situation.


Request Consultation

adult-repairman-in-goggles-fixing-window-handle-by-electric-drill.jpg
Consult with an expert

1 (330) 454-8066

Scroll to Top