Heavy rain showers give many Canal Fulton, Ohio homeowners the opportunity to look for water, or water leaks they may have in the basement of their home. If you own an older home, and you notice water sitting on the basement floor, you have basement waterproofing issues.
There are three explanations for water sitting on the basement floor that is simple to understand.
- The first and most common cause for water leaks is the fact that you may have an older home and the sealant around the foundation is gone or almost gone. The sealant might not be doing its job properly, and water is seeping into the foundation and ending on the basement floor.
- Secondly, The gutters of the home are full of debris and dumping all the rainwater around the foundation of the home. This water will sooner or later find a way to the basement of the home, or at least to the walls of the basement.
- Thirdly, you do not have a water drainage system in your home. Rainwater sitting around the foundation will eventually end up in the basement of your home.
If you have a basement waterproofing problem, can you tell if you do? Many homeowners do not go to the basement of the home if it is not finished. But, there are obviously easy-to-spot signs you can see for yourself if there is water damage in the basement of your home.
- Bowed or damaged walls due to water seepage
- cracked walls
- musty smell
- mold or mildew
- Water sitting on the basement floor
- water sediment visible on the walls
If you spot any of these signs, you have a basement waterproofing issue in your home. And it is important to call a basement waterproofing company to come to look into the problem you have and take care of it right away. Furthermore, if you choose to ignore the problem, or postponed them, these problems can become serious issues in the near future.
Can I Waterproof the Basement of my home by myself?
We do not recommend any homeowner waterproofing their own basement. It might sound simple, but waterproofing the basement of the home requires knowledge, and the experience to do it well. DIY basement waterproofing is not really a chore to do for the weekend. It is a serious home project that requires the expertise of a knowledgeable company to do it well.
What Can I do To Stop Water From Coming Into My Home?
There are simple ways to help rainwater flow away from the foundation of the home and keep your basement dry.
- Make sure the gutters are clean. Leaves and dirt can clog the gutters of the home, and dump the rainwater around the foundation of the home. If the gutters are broken or damaged, you need to fix them or replace them.
- Make sure the spouting around the home is firmly in place. If there’s spouting missing, replace them and make sure they are firmly secure. This will allow the water to flow freely and away from the foundation.
- Make sure the flower beds are flat and the shrubbery is cut short. Clean the flower beds from leaves or excess mulch. Make sure there is no slopping into the foundation of the home.
For many homeowners, the act of postponing chores comes naturally. Although, it is understandable, there are some home projects that cannot be postponed. Basement waterproofing is one of those projects that need to be taken seriously. If you ignore the basement waterproofing problem, it will eventually affect the integrity of the foundation, making the basement waterproofing a more serious project the longer you wait.
Pioneer Basement Solutions, is a Canal Fulton basement waterproofing and foundation repair company with a long history in the community. With over 40 years of experience in the industry, we are a full-service company offering individualized basement waterproofing services to Canal Fulton homeowners. Our services include interior and exterior basement waterproofing systems. Call us for a free estimate.