This winter in Northeast Ohio hasn’t been bad. Temperatures are nothing compared to what they used to be a few years back, and snow accumulation has been minimal — my daughter is still waiting for enough snow to build our annual igloo — and unless February brings too much snow to make up for January’s, the climate in Northeast Ohio is not too shabby.
Spring will come sooner than you think. The rains will undoubtedly come too, and with the rains come flooded basements in many homes around here. We are humans, and busy humans to boot. We don’t check many things around the home, unless we have an emergency or pay someone to do it for us. For example: When was the last time you checked the sump pump to make sure it works? Do you know if you have one? A sump pump can be an incredible help if you have a flooded basement, and making sure is in working condition can be very beneficial for your whole family.
If you have a sump pump and are wondering what to do, these are some of the basic things you need to check to make sure it’s working properly.
- The electrical system of the sump pump can suffer from damages over time. Power surges during storms can damage it and leave you with a sump pump that no longer works.
- If you are testing the sump pump, make sure you go outside to make sure that is discharging the water.
- Replace the battery every couple years.
- Make sure the motor of your sump pump is not making strange noises when running it. If it is, follow the manufactures’s instruction to fix the problem, or call a knowledgeable company to fix it for you.
- Make sure the drain lines are clean, and will not block the water exits.
- Maintenance is key for your sump pump. The manufacture’s instruction booklet can give you clear instructions on how to properly maintaining your sump pump, and keep it working for years.
If you have already one installed, checking it before the rains arrive can be a very helpful aid when you most need it. Look into the manufacture’s booklet to know what steps to take before you test it, or call a knowledgeable person or company to do it for you.
Looking at any Home Depot, or Lowes store, you will find that there are hundreds of sump pumps to choose from. Make sure that if you are going to replace the one you have, you need to make sure it is the right one for your home. A too little or too big sump pump for your home cannot be good and even shorten its life. Talk to a professional if you are unsure what to buy.