Winter Safety Measures For Your Home

During this Covid-19 pandemic, families across the globe have responded differently to the medical and financial situations they face. Some families have taken steps to protect themselves and their families from the virus and the economic strains they faced every day by being more careful with their spending and their health, other families have taken the challenges as they come, with very little changes to their lives.

It is easy to fall prey to the belief that we are safe in our homes from illnesses and diseases that affect other people, but not us.  During this pandemic, that belief has been shattered. We are safer at home from some diseases, but there are some viruses and dangers in our homes we need to protect ourselves from affecting us and our children.

This year our homes have become the safe heaven we need to feel safe and protected from the virus.  It has become our office, our classroom, and our playground. But, how safe is our home? 

It can be a safe place, but during the winter months, our homes become closed to fresh air and ventilation making the dangers lurking inside very real. What can you do to protect yourself?

Below are 3 easy, readily available, and inexpensive safety measures you can have in less than an hour that can save your life.

  1. Carbon monoxide detector- Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that can kill your family and pets alike.  A carbon monoxide detector can alert you if there are high levels of CO gas in your home 
  2. Smoke detectors- Even if you have smoke detectors in your home, check them to make sure they are functioning well.  Change the batteries, or test them to make sure they work.
  3. Radon Testkit- Radon is a gas that comes naturally from the earth.  We breathe it in our homes when it comes through cracks and gaps, so we are always exposed. Stop smoking inside the home and try to vent it as much as possible. Buy a kit to test the levels of Radon in your home.

Those safety measures are easy and fairly inexpensive to obtain.  A bigger issue that many families encounter is mold and mildew in their homes. Molds affect the air quality in our homes and can pose a major risk to people suffering from asthma and other respiratory illness.

Molds in and around the home

Molds and mildew are a very common occurrence in homes where there is a lot of moisture.  Mold grows in the basements of the homes where moisture accumulates.  If there is a leak in your basement, chances are mold and mildew will start growing if left unattended. Mold can grow on the ceiling of your basement, cardboard, drywall, and your stored belongings. 

Many families believe that a leak in their basement is not a big deal.  The damage hasn’t been bad and the problem can wait till they are financially able to pay for the waterproofing needed. Plus, the leak is not a big one. The small leak can become a problem very fast and the damage done to the foundation and basement can escalate quickly.  The more damage done to the home, the bigger the cost. 

The health, safety, and clean air in our homes should not be questioned.  If your home has a leak, big or small, contact us.  We can provide you with a hassle-free quote that makes sense to you and your family.

Request Consultation

adult-repairman-in-goggles-fixing-window-handle-by-electric-drill.jpg
Consult with an expert

1 (330) 454-8066

Scroll to Top